Friday, April 8, 2011

Last Class at Principia College...Ever


Today we finished up our week of studio art bootcamp and I am more excited than ever to get going on this trip. We did a group drawing today by dividing an image into a grid and completing squares independently and then putting it back together to form a 6 foot tall image of Franz Kafka. Pretty awesome.
Everyday we have an assignment for both drawing and writing and we keep it all in our fancy looking moleskine journals. For art we have to draw something, anything, as realistically as possible. So far I have drawn several scenes of people, a tree and some birds, and a page full of feet. The same idea goes for writing for which we describe something everyday. Our professor constantly emphasize process and the importance of daily practice when it comes to both disciplines, something that I am just getting used to. I never thought of art as something you had to practice until last quarter when I realized that it really comes down to practice, practice, practice. I am excited to see the progression of drawings throughout the abroad and I will be sure to include them in this blog.
Here are a few of the drawings from my journal this past week:



We got quite the surprise today when our abroad leaders let us know that the activities for tomorrow are canceled to give us some time to relax and prepare for the trip. I will be spending the day taking a trip to Target with friends, laying out on the chapel green, possibly playing some sand volleyball or ultimate frisbee and taking a long relaxing walk to who knows where.
More good news, I turned in my senior capstone, a 27 page paper in French which secures my graduation and completes my major. I hadn't realized how much pressure I felt from that one paper considering how many I have written over the past four years but now that it is out of my hands, literally, I am happy to say goodbye to it.
The next time I write may be when I am in the Little Town Budget Hotel in Praha eating dumplings and fresh strawberries from the fruit market and sipping on some genuine Czech kava (coffee). So until then, Na schledanou!

2 comments:

  1. Love your pictures. You're so talented and you're going to have so much fun in Prague - you deserve it - 4 long years of hard work coming to an end - well the Principia part is coming to an end - the hard work is just beginning! I'm so glad you get to experience this place. It is going to be a trip you'll never forget.

    Love you lots

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great drawings, Is. Also, congrats on finishing up at Principia! It's strange to think that chapter of your life is ending, but what a great way to finish up. I'm sure you'l have a terrific trip and I can't wait to hear more about it.

    Safe travels!

    ReplyDelete