Thursday, May 26, 2011

Ruins, Food and Art

Two days ago we had day trips: in groups of three we are given the day and told to organize a trip either nearby or as far as Austria. My group decided to take a 20 minute train ride to a tiny little town called Trisov and hike a mile into a protected forest to see the Divci Kamen ruins. The castle was built on top of a little mountain between 1349 and 1360 and was abandoned in 1500. So we were hiking through the woods and all of a sudden I looked up and this was exactly what I saw.
We had the entire castle to ourselves for almost the entire time and we were able to do some drawing, eat lunch, and lay out in the sun. It was a tough day.
Last night we went to a delicious restaurant for a group dinner and this was the tray of food that was presented to me and the girl sitting across from me for dinner. Chicken, potato cakes, boiled potatoes, dumplings, smoked pork, and sauerkraut.
The past three days we have done 2-3 hours of drawing outside each morning. Tourists take lots of pictures of us and comment in every language on the face of the earth which is pretty amusing. This is me with Cristina on the left and Owen on the right: two of the sweetest most quality people I know, we have had so much fun on this trip.
Here is the huge drawing I did from the past three on-site drawing mornings. I have this and a mighty red sunburn as a souvenir and I definitely like this more than the sunburn. I did it in pencil first, then colored chalk and then details in pencil again. I left the buildings un-colored as a way to emphasize the roofs which were supposed to be our focus.

No comments:

Post a Comment